Sunday, January 25, 2009
Blogged;
My blog has died for some time alr, so hopefully this boring and lame post shall revive it.
You can choose not to read it but I think most people will (:
So last night I started on my 4 scientists reflection thing.
I hate homework will word limits alot, cos I suck at summarising. :/
ROBERT BROWN.
This scientist had this much info (original; untouched from the website):
Robert Brown was a botanist (a scientist who studies plants) in the early 19th Century. He was born in Scotland and sailed to Australia with Matthew Flinders to study plants found in Western Australia and took around 4000 specimens back to England. Brown is also famous for having discovered the cell nucleus. He conducted extensive amounts of research on the reproductive cells of plants, such as ova and pollen. It was during his studies of pollen that he discovered something unexpected.
While viewing pollen grains, which he harvested from a plant called Clarkia pulchella, that were suspended in water, Brown noticed that the grains were moving seemingly independently.
Brown conducted some research to find out if other scientists had noticed this phenomenon. He discovered that some scientists had, but they believed the pollen was moving because it was alive. Brown, however, tried observing preserved pollen grains, a stain made from dried flower petals and even powdered rock, all suspended in water. In all of these cases, the small grains and fragments moved in the same way. This proved that the pollen was not alive because other particles moved in the same way.
Brown could not explain why this happened, but he noted it in his reports so that other scientists might one day find an explanation. The phenomenon became known as Brownian motion or Brownian movement.
An explanation for Brownian motion was not found during Robert Brown's lifetime, as he died in 1858. Later, scientists like Albert Einstein in 1905 theorised that Brownian motion was the result of the tiny particles that make up water moving within the liquid and hitting the pollen and causing it to move. This has since been supported by the findings of scientists like Jean Perrin, among others.
(293 words)
I edited for 20 minutes plus to become this :
Robert Brown was a botanist in the early 19th Century, and during his studies of pollen he discovered something unexpected. While viewing pollen grains which were suspended in water, Brown noticed that the grains were moving seemingly independently.
Brown conducted some research to find out if other scientists had noticed this phenomenon. He discovered that some scientists had, but they believed the pollen was moving because it was alive. Brown, however, tried observing preserved pollen grains, a stain made from dried flower petals and even powdered rock, all suspended in water. In all of these cases, the small grains and fragments moved in the same way. This proved that the pollen was not alive because other particles moved in the same way.
Brown could not explain why this happened, but he noted it in his reports so that other scientists might one day find an explanation. The phenomenon became known as Brownian motion or Brownian movement.
Brownian motion was the result of the tiny particles that make up water moving within the liquid and hitting the pollen and causing it to move. This has since been supported by the findings of scientists like Jean Perrin, among others.
(197 words)
Still too many words, after 1h plus of editing it became like this :
Robert Brown influenced the development of the particulate model of matter while he was viewing pollen grains which were suspended in water. Brown noticed that the grains were moving seemingly independently, and ruled out the possibility that the grains were alive when he observed the same phenomenon in preserved pollen grains in water. However, he was unable to explain his observation. This phenomenon later became known as Brownian motion or Brownian movement, and is known to happen because the pollen grains collide with the particles within the liquid which are moving. Brown’s findings have been of help in proving that particles of matter are always in constant and random motion.
(110 words)
There are obviously more versions between the 2nd and 3rd one, but all of these would only bore you out. haha.
And me. (:
This last version the furthest I'll go in editing anyway.
The information all seems impt, at least.
I gave up doing anymore and went to wash my blue bag from 11.45pm onwards.
Wouldn't you know, I did 5 rounds of washing on this bag, which probably hasn't been washed in boldy I'll say, years, or I could even say never been washed at all!
What a weird sentence.
K anyway, I used a soap bar to wash my bag, and I did 2 rounds of soaping, 1 round of just rinsing, 1 more of soaping and the last one of rinsing.
I kneeled and stood on my bag to squeeze the water out, and it came out as black ink like a snake/ dragon in the water.
Sadly I was unable to to take a picture because
-firstly, my toilet does not have good lighting
- secondly, my camera isn't a very clear one
- third of all, it was dark at night.
- fourth, there was alot of foam in the "ink" so the picture wouldn't be clear also.
At first the water was like really and greyish, then a little bluish at the same time, but by the last round it turned to dark blue.
Thus my conclusion that it is a case of 脱色, take off/remove colour in direct translation.
K this is the end of my boring and lame post, and wouldn't you know, I thought of posting all of these while I was washing my bag and I did. (:
-Si Min @ [[12:27 PM]]